Mar 8, 2011

Stuart Broad an injury doubt for England

Stuart Broad
A side strain picked up by Stuart Broad in England's dramatic win over South Africa could end his involvement in the Cricket World Cup.

The results of a scan are due later this afternoon (March 8th) and are likely to determine whether Broad will become England's second long-term injury casualty in the space of three days, with Kevin Pietersen's trip having already been cut short by a hernia injury.

Broad, who took 4-15 in the match on Sunday, is a major doubt for Friday's match against Bangladesh.

However, he is hopeful that the injury will not end his involvement in the Cricket World Cup, particularly since his Ashes campaign was disrupted by a similar complaint.

"I'm not too down at the minute because I don't know what the injury is. But obviously, I'll be bitterly disappointed if it's the end of my World Cup," Broad commented.

"It's in a different area. I didn't get the short stabbing pain that I did in the Ashes, so that's a good sign this is not as severe as that."

Ajmal Shahzad is a likely replacement for Broad should he fail to recover in time to face Bangladesh.
Read More >>

1 comment: