Oct 10, 2011

Andy Roddick survives frighten in Shanghai

Andy Roddick in Shanghai
Andy Roddick

Roddick survived a second set wobble against qualifier Yen-Hsun Lu to move ahead to the second round of the Shanghai Masters on Monday.

The American, seeded 10th, lost his way midway through an enjoyable clash but recovered to register a 6-2 3-6 6-2 triumph in one hour and 52 minutes.

"He plays so high risk," said Roddick. "You know, In general I thought it was pretty good, save four games perhaps."

Andy Roddick will meet Grigor Dimitrov next after the Bulgarian saw off Turkish qualifier Marsel Ilhan 2-6 6-1 6-4.

Bernard Tomic move on courtesy of a 7-6 (7/5) 6-7 (4/7) 6-3 win against Kevin Anderson and will now meet fifth seed Mardy Fish.

"I'm happy I won against a player like Anderson since he can beat so many world class players on his day," said Australian Tomic.

"I'm happy I won that third set because his serve was too good the entire game. To enter tournaments like this, play main draws, is a way to make your ranking up even faster. It's actually tough to get there. I'm lucky I did it at a young age.

"I've acquire a long way to go, and a lot of things in front of me."

Spaniard Fernando Verdasco was also strong for Chinese wild card Zhe Li, winning 6-2 6-2, Nalbandian beat Ernests Gulbis 7-5 6-4 and former world no.1 Juan Carlos Ferrero edged out Mikhail Youzhny 7-6 (7/4) 6-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment